Information on Ibiza
Pristine Beaches, Hundreds of Activities to Choose From and Local Food You Won’t Find Anywhere Else – This Island Has it All!
Ibiza is much more than just a party island; it’s popular with families who all visit the White Isle for holidays filled with sunshine and fun. With many beaches to choose from, all slightly different from one another, there is something for every family to enjoy.
Beaches for Families in Ibiza
Ibiza has beaches for everyone, but if you are looking for family-friendly beaches that are easily accessible with shallow waters and good facilities, these are the ones to visit:
Right in the north of the island is the Portinatx resort with its three lovely family-friendly beaches. Each beach has a lifeguard, different water sports options as well as snorkelling and swimming. For an easy holiday that doesn’t need a lot of planning, this is the place to go. The local resorts and accommodation make it easy to relax and you’ll be able to enjoy the available activities that will keep children of all ages entertained.
Cala Bassa is a beautiful beach on the west coast of Ibiza and is a favourite with families. Young kids love playing in the shallow waters, and for older children, there are rock pools for snorkelling and exploring. The beach is like a natural swimming pool with its flat waters, and there are inflatables and pedaloes for hire on the beach.
The Cala Llonga beach is possibly the best-equipped beach for families. It’s wide, with golden sand and it’s also very attractive. For kids, there is a playground, pedaloes for rent, and even a small amusement park. And the affordable restaurant options mean that you don’t have to pack a picnic for the day.
Es Cana on the east of the island is a compact resort with three restaurants and a beach bar, all geared to entertaining the whole family. The beach hosts a range of activities that will appeal to all ages, including various water activities such as kayaks and pedaloes; sunbeds and umbrellas are also readily available. There’s plenty of space on this long beach, so it’s never too crowded even in the height of summer, and calm, shallow waters make it a safe place for children to play.
From San Jose, the small Cala Vadella beach is a quick fifteen-minute drive on a mountainous road through pine forests. Emerging from the trees, you’re greeted by the pristine cove with its shallow waters and rocks on either side. This secluded beach offers great opportunities for exploring and adventuring, and the affordable restaurant is one of the best spots on the island to relax and watch the sunset.
Sandwiched between San Jose and San Antonio on Ibiza’s southwest coast is the sheltered Cala Tarida beach. The two ends of the beach are completely different with one end that’s shallow and calm, and the other that’s more rocky and wild. In addition to the popular pedaloes, there are other water sports on offer, including kite surfing and water surfing. Cala Tarida is beautiful with its clear waters that are perfect for snorkelling and exploring. For added kid-safety, there is also a lifeguard on duty in the summer months.
Top Activities that the Whole Family Can Enjoy
Ibiza is a great place to go on a family holiday because, in addition to the multitude of family-orientated beaches, there are also many different activities that will appeal to both children and parents alike.
Top favourites on the island include:
- Horse Riding in the Ibiza Horse Valley, this is the perfect family outing if you have older children (no experience needed). Here you’ll have the opportunity to explore mountains, forest, and beaches.
- Beach Clubs, these are great for parents who get a chance to relax on the beach while qualified professional look after the kids. Children will love having the freedom to explore the specially designed kids’ areas on their own
- Yoga, something that the whole family will enjoy. With numerous yoga retreats on the island, why not try a retreat that’s also geared towards children. Pronansol offers kids yoga classes and family classes, as well as aqua yoga for children from the age of six months right through to teenagers.
- Mini Ibiza, part of the Club de Campo sports and country club, caters to families with its spacious playroom garden and play park. Spend time with your younger children in the play area and garden, or take some time for yourself while their childcare service keeps them entertained with free play as well as arts and crafts activities.
- Boat Trips, these are a great way for the family to spend time together. There are ferry trips to the neighbouring island of Formentera if you fancy a day trip. Otherwise shorter excursions such as an afternoon or sunset trips could be a good option.
- Water Parks, the water parks make a great change from the beach because you can still keep cool while enjoying being outside. The Aguamar Water Park in Playa d’en Bossa has a good range of slides and pools, restaurant and play park as well as picnic areas. For older children, the Ocean Mania Waterpark in San Antonia is also an excellent option. It’s an inflatable playground that has been constructed in the sea with trampolines, slides, swings and more.
- Cap Blanc Aquarium, this is a large, natural cave that often is home to rescued turtles. There are also other tanks containing Mediterranean sea life.
Food in Ibiza
If you’re looking to sample some of the island’s traditional fare, you’re in luck. Ibiza is well-known for its range of local delicacies including:
- Sofrit Pagés, a stew with a variety of meats and vegetables, this dish was traditionally served only on special occasions but can be found in most restaurants.
- Balearic sausages, either sobrassada made from pork spiced with paprika, or botifarra, a version of blood sausage. These are generally eaten with other dishes or as an appetizer.
- Arròs de Matança (Arroz de Matanzas), made from rice, meat, saffron and mushroom cooked in a reduced broth.
- Paellas de Marisco, or seafood paella, is a traditional rice-based dish with fresh seafood, rice, vegetables, and spices.
- Bullit de peix, a traditional fish stew native to the island of Ibiza.
Ibiza caters well to families with picturesque family-friendly beaches, activities that are fun for all ages and interesting food that, in many cases, can only be found on the island.
- €1278 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 6
4-room house 110 m2. Comfortable furnishings: living/dining room with open-hearth fireplace, satellite TV, CD-player, hi-fi system and air conditioning. 1 room with 1 french bed (150 cm, length 190 cm), air conditioning. 1 room with 1 x 2 bunk beds (90 cm, length 190 cm), air conditioning. 1 room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 190 cm), air conditioning. Kitchen (oven, microwave, freezer, electric coffee machine, Capsules for coffee machine (KRUPS dol...
- €1169 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 6
4-room house 140 m2. Practical furnishings: living/dining room with open-hearth fireplace, satellite TV and international TV channels. Exit to the swimming pool. 1 room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 200 cm), bath/WC. 1 room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 200 cm), shower/WC. 1 room with 1 french bed (150 cm, length 200 cm), bath/WC. Kitchen (oven, dishwasher, 4 induction hot plates, microwave) with hatch. Air-conditioning, forced-air heating (extra). Ter...
- €1825 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 6
"Can Mari", 6-room villa 175 m2. Object suitable for 7 adults. Spacious, renovated, very comfortable and cosy furnishings: living/dining room with dining table. Lounge with open-hearth fireplace, satellite TV, flat screen, radio and DVD. Entrance hall. Exit to the terrace. 2 large double bedrooms with panoramic window, each room with 1 double bed, bath/shower/WC and fan. Exit to the terrace. 1 room with 3 beds (90 cm), bath/shower/WC and fan. Kit...
- €5112 p/w
- Bedrooms 4
- Sleeps 8
"Villa Clara", 5-room villa 200 m2 on 2 levels. Object suitable for 8 adults. Spacious and bright, very beautiful and cosy furnishings: open large living room with sliding door, panoramic window with TV, flat screen, hi-fi system, air conditioning and forced-air heating. Exit to the patio, to the swimming pool. 1 large double bedroom with sliding door, panoramic window with 1 french bed, air conditioning and forced-air heating. Exit to the patio,...