Villas In Costa Brava Catalonia
With delicious local food, family-friendly beaches and activities for all ages; Costa Brava is a great destination for families.
The Costa Brava in the north-east of Spain is made up of hidden coves, high cliffs, seaside villages along with blue flag beaches and trendy city life in Catalonia’s capital city, Barcelona. The coastline is a great holiday destination for families offering an ideal mix of beaches, activities, and places to explore.
Family-Friendly Beach in Costa Brava
Going to be beach as a family can be a great day out, but there are a number of things that can make it a lot easier including facilities such as showers and toilets, easy access, and shallow waters. With this in mind, our top picks include:
This beach is backed by a public park that is ideal for picnicking, while the beach itself is beautiful with fine sand and a gentle slope into the sea. It also has an exciting, varied history having been the point of disembarkation for Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans in the past.
Platja de Santa Cristina
While not all the beaches in Lloret are well suited to families, the Santa Cristina beach is perfect. It’s broad with shallow waters, offers easy access and all the important facilities. It’s not overrun, but it is popular enough that you can get everything you need for a day in the sun right on the beach.
This flat, pretty beach with perfect sand and basic facilities is a favourite with families. Sant Pol is a perfect example of the beaches of Sant Feliu de Guíxols, many of which are family friendly. In the summer, there are kids’ clubs that offer childcare services keeping children entertained with games, workshops, and more.
Platja de Castell
If you’re looking for a pristine, unspoiled beach, Platja de Castell is perfect. It’s easily accessible by car, and the car park is close to the beach. On the beach itself, there are two beach bars, umbrellas and sun loungers for hire, toilets, a kiosk and kayaks.
This cove is not as easily accessible as others on the list – it’s a fifteen-minute walk along the Cami de Ronda coastal path, and it’s not very big. But it’s also not as busy and has a beautiful clear, shallow water. The beach has a bar, restaurant, and picnic area and it’s possible to hire kayaks for some fun on the water.
Cala Sant Francesc
Sometimes called Cala Bona, Cala Sant Francesc is in Blanes. Boasting blue flag status, this stunning beach has stunning, clear waters and excellent facilities. It’s the perfect beach for children with rocks to explore and excellent snorkeling opportunities in the shallow water.
Fun for the Whole Family: Activities in the Costa Brava
When you’ve had a couple of days (or weeks) on the beach, it’s time to explore more of what the coast has to offer.
The Costa Brava has a number of different waterparks that have everything you need for a fun, action-packed day out. These are the top four parks, all well known for their safety, excellent facilities and, above all, fun:
- Water World in Lloret de Mar, the biggest and best waterpark on the east coast of Spain has something for all ages, including water slides, hot tubs, and even a wave pool.
- Aquabrava in Roses, this park is well-known for its high slides and artificial rivers, offering a total of 19 different attractions. It’s also a good option if you have younger children as there are play areas with waterfalls and mini toboggans.
- Waterpark in the sea in Empuriabrava, if you’re not quite ready to leave the beach, this floating obstacle course is great fun for kids with its slides, trampolines, obstacles and floating platforms joined together.
- Aquadiver in Platja d'Aro, here you’ll find something that perfect for you, no matter what you’re looking for. Facilities include a wave pool, play areas for children, a picnic area and top-quality facilities including sunbed rental, shows and toilets, and restaurants.
Throughout the Costa Brava, there are great water sport options to try out. Children can try windsurfing, sea kayaking, snorkeling or paddle boarding. And for teenagers and adults, you can try wakeboarding or water-skiing.
There’s so much to explore in the Costa Brava, some of the best ways to get out into nature include:
- Butterfly Park in Empuriabrava, with its turtles and parrots and, of course, a myriad of beautiful butterfly species. It feels like a different world as it’s a simulated tropical environment that’s kept at a warm 28 degrees Celsius with 80% humidity.
- Botanical Gardens in Blanes, the Marimurtra Garden, and Pinya de Rosa have stunning views over the Mediterranean. The Marimurtra Garden has over 4000 plant species and plenty of space for kids to run around, while the Pinya de Rosa has over 7000 tropical species with cactuses, aloes, and palm trees to discover.
- Camino de Ronda, get off the beaten track and explore some of the trails on the Costa Brava. Choose from several natural parks where you can go for a family walk, cycle or horse ride.
Local Food in Costa Brava
There’s more to sample than paella if you’re looking for excellent local food on your trip to the Costa Brava. Some favourites include:
- Pa amb tomàquet, bread (or toast) with tomato, salt and olive oil
- Dorada (gilt-head sea bream), usually grilled or baked in salt.
- Anchovies, preserved in salt rather than oil
If you happen to be in the Costa Brava in winter or autumn, there are other delicious local specialties that are not to be missed. With the emphasis is on local, seasonal produce try mushrooms and chestnuts in autumn and calcot (a type of onion) in winter.
And if you’re looking for local wine, you won’t be disappointed. 3.5 million bottles of wine are produced annually in the Costa Brava, 60% red, 19% red and 17% rose, with the remaining 4% made up to traditional wines.
From beaches to waterparks, and restaurants to nature trails, a holiday in the Costa Brava will keep the whole family happily entertained.
- €1068 to €2995 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 6
"Almendro", 4-room house 150 m2 on 2 levels. Practical furnishings: living/dining room with satellite TV. Exit to the garden, to the terrace, to the swimming pool. 1 room with 1 french bed (160 cm, length 200 cm), shower/WC and air conditioning. Exit to the garden, to the terrace, to the swimming pool. Open kitchen (dishwasher, 3 induction hot plates, microwave, electric coffee machine) with air conditioning. Exit to the garden, to the terrace, t...
- €1681 to €2690 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 6
"El Golf", 4-room house. Rustic and cosy furnishings: living/dining room with open-hearth fireplace and TV. Exit to the patio, to the swimming pool. 1 room with 1 french bed (150 cm, length 200 cm). 1 room with 1 double bed (90 cm, length 190 cm). 1 large room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 190 cm). Exit to the swimming pool. Large kitchen (oven, dishwasher, 3 ceramic glass hob hotplates, microwave). Exit to the terrace. 2 Baths/showers, 2 sep. WC's....
- €844 to €2280 p/w
- Bedrooms 4
- Sleeps 8
"Atenea", 6-room house 175 m2. Tasteful and cosy furnishings: dining room. Exit to the terrace. 1 room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 200 cm). 1 double bedroom with 1 french bed (150 cm, length 200 cm). Open kitchen (5 hot plates, oven, dishwasher, microwave, freezer, electric coffee machine). Shower/bidet/WC. On the lower ground floor: living room with satellite TV. Exit to the patio, to the swimming pool. 1 double bedroom with 1 french bed (160 cm,...
- €1033 p/w
- Bedrooms 3
- Sleeps 7
"Mas tomasi", 4-room house on 2 levels. Simple and practical furnishings: living/dining room with TV and satellite TV. Exit to the terrace. 1 room with 1 french bed and bath/WC. 1 room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 190 cm). Kitchenette in the entrance (oven, dishwasher, 4 ceramic glass hob hotplates, microwave, freezer, electric coffee machine). Bath/WC. Upper floor: 1 room with 1 bed and 1 french bed. Small patio. Terrace furniture, balcony furnitu...
- €906 to €3100 p/w
- Bedrooms 6
- Sleeps 12
"Koi", 8-room house 130 m2. Practical and comfortable furnishings: living/dining room with dining table. Exit to the patio, to the swimming pool. 2 double bedrooms, each room with 2 beds (90 cm, length 190 cm). 1 double bedroom with 1 bed (90 cm, length 190 cm), 1 french bed (160 cm, length 200 cm). Kitchen (4 hot plates, oven, dishwasher, microwave, freezer, electric coffee machine). Bath/bidet/WC. Upper floor: living/dining room with dining tab...