101 Ways to Have the Perfect Vacation
Everyone dreams of having the perfect vacation but sometimes things don’t turn out that way. You have worked hard for this holiday and you deserve it to be a good one. We have compiled a list of some useful tips to help you have the perfect vacation. Please read our 101 tips to have the perfect vacation.
Before you go
1. Do your research – Trip Advisor is great for getting others opinions.
2. If you are a member of associations such as AAAA, AARP or Military Personnel you maybe be entitled to additional discounts. Be sure to inquire.
3. Check prices direct with hotels and resorts sometimes they may end up being cheaper than booking through travel agents.
4. Try and pick a destination that has something to suit everyone in your group.
5. If you can travel at off peak times you will avail of the best deals and resorts will be less crowded.
6. Book a safe destination.
7. Check for Wi-Fi at your destination.
8. Listen to recommendations from friends and colleagues.
9. Book travel insurance, you can never be too careful.
10. Arrange with a neighbour or friend to water your plants and remove your post from mailboxes while you are away.
11. Arrange kennels for your pets unless you can take them with you.
12. Only go with people you like. It seems obvious but you really don’t want be stuck day in day with someone you really don’t get on with. It will spoil the trip for everyone.
13. If bringing children, perhaps invite your parents along too, it’s great to have babysitters on hand if you fancy a few hours child free or evening meal.
14. A week or so before your trip you should reconfirm your travel arrangements with your accommodation provider.
15. Do not leave teenagers home alone, your house will never be the same again.
16. Check necessary travel documents are to hand and in date such as passports.
17. Make a copy of passports, credit cards and driving licenses in case of emergency.
18. Be sure to check appliances such as lights, TV’s, computer games are switched off before you leave home.
19. Check weather updates for your destination.
20. Decide on your budget and try to stick to it.
21. Leave emergency contact details with family and friends back home.
22. Remember to include an adaptor that suits the power supply if traveling to another country. You do want to have hair straighteners that you can’t use!
23. Set your tv to record all your favourite programme while you are away. You can have an epic tv fest when you return. You don’t want to be the only one that doesn’t know what’s happened on The Housewives of everywhere!
24. Remember to include extra supplies of any important medication such as insulin.
25. Check-in online if possible to minimise the stress of queuing and seat allocation.
26. Bring way more clothes that you actually need! Ladies you know what I’m talking about!
27. Again ladies, you can never have enough shoes, pack loads, and then put in a couple more pairs. You never know!
28. Bring a small backpack, it’s great for carrying around water, sun screen and snacks while away.
29. Remember to pack phone and camera chargers.
30. Pack books, comics and colouring pencils to keep your kids occupied on long plane journeys.
31. If landing in a hot destination, dress in layers so that you can easily remove clothing to suit the local climate.
At the Airport
32. Take a note of where you parked your car if driving to the airport yourself. Although you don’t care right now if you never see your car again you will care when you return at 1am and its freezing cold and you’re struggling with luggage.
33. Have the address and phone number of the location you are staying to hand.
34. Pack carry-on luggage carefully. Be sure not to include any prohibited items.
35. Leave all liquids and gels easily assessable to transfer into clear plastic bags.
36. Be sure to empty your pockets carefully and comply with all security instructions, you don’t want to spend longer than you need to going through metal detectors.
37. Don’t wear holey socks, it’s embarrassing when standing in line after you have removed your shoes!
38. Remember to bring your own headphones for the plane, some airlines make you pay.
39. Keep hydrated on the plane by drinking plenty of water.
40. Ladies a good tip is to bring hand and face cream to stop your skin drying out.
41. When boarding the plane find your seat quickly and sit down. Don’t block the aisles for other passengers, it’s frustrating to be held up by people fiddling with bags and taking things in and out of bags.
42. Likewise with getting off the plane, do it swiftly. Its best not to charge ahead and instead let the rows in front of you out first.
43. When disembarking take note of the baggage carrousel your bags will come in on.
44. Check you have the correct luggage before leaving the airport, many people have similar luggage, so be sure it’s yours. You do want to wear your own clothes on holiday! Luggage tags are great for this so get labelling.
45. Enjoy yourself, relax and be happy. You have waited a long time for this time to come so make the most of it.
46. Don’t make a schedule, just go with the flow.
47. Ask resort staff for recommendations on things to do.
48. Use Skype when calling home, calling long distance and cell phone calls are way too expensive.
49. Take lots of pictures then check them, if you don’t like them delete them and pose again!
50. Eat, eat, eat and eat some more and in between non-stop eating remember to snack!
51. Do not even attempt to look at work emails and whatever you do, do not reply to any. Doing so will open the floodgate for many more to follow and then you will feel compelled to reply again and before you know it your spending some time every day on them. Having a complete break is the only way to recharge.
52. Try not to drive the hire car and let someone else do it! How else can you enjoy the scenery and kick back and relax. Pretend you forgot your license!
53. Learn a few basic phrases to get you by if going to a foreign country.
54. Take long walks and enjoy the fresh air and scenery.
55. Find out where closest atms are located.
56. Try and include something cultural – a guided excursion is great for getting historical info and local facts about your destination.
57. Take home soap, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel samples from your room – they expect you to!
58. Take advantage of room safes and lock away your valuables.
59. Sleep late – do not set alarms, just wake when you wake.
60. Gather maps of your location, they are a great way to get your bearings.
61. Respect location laws, customs and traditions.
62. Only use taxis, tours and other transportation services with official markings.
63. Remember to tip wait staff, porters, bartenders and valet.
64. Keep your sun glasses on when eying up hot bodies by the pool, it’s a bit harder to detect.
65. Do not carry large amounts of cash around at any one time.
66. Take regular rest stops if taking long drives.
67. If you are staying in a self-catering condo do all your washing before you come home. It will take the sting out of unpacking.
68. Smile and greet other guest at your accommodation.
69. Read lots of trashy magazines and don’t feel guilty.
70. Keep your eyes peeled for special offers and discounts. Some places have “kids eat free” or “2 for 1 deals” or “extra day free passes”, avail of these offers and enjoy the savings.
71. If you get lost ask for directions.
72. Have at least one lazy day where you do nothing else but relax by the pool.
73. Do not accept drinks from strangers in bars, unless they’re cute!
74. Make a souvenir list for family and friends you want to take something home to. It’s worth noting that larger supermarkets often sell handy souvenirs that are a fraction of the price that typical gift stores sell at.
75. Do at least one things you have never done before while on holiday.
76. Agree on meeting places if anyone gets lost at theme parks or attractions.
77. Do not wander off on your own without letting fellow travellers know where you are going.
78. Try to avoid wearing make-up during the day, it’s good to let your skin breath.
79. Consult a doctor if you get any bites or stings.
80. Always wear shoes when late night dancing in bars even if your shoes are killing you. Black feet and cuts from broken glass so not attractive!
81. Do not swim on a full stomach or if you have taken too much alcohol.
82. Ensure small children wear armbands and they are supervised at all times.
83. Adhere to lifeguards on duty at all times.
84. If swimming at the sea keep within the flags.
85. Be sure you know which ends are the deep and shallow ends of swimming pools before diving in.
86. Before you go brag continually to all your friends about where you’re going, how long until you go and how great of a time you will have. Even share links of the accommodation and attraction, your friends will be so jealous.
87. Make friends with the resort on Facebook and ask them many questions before you go. Resorts love to interact with their guests.
88. Do not announce that your property will be entirely empty for 2 weeks, for security reasons this is not advisable.
89. When on holidays check-in often so your friends can see where you’re at. “At the airport”, “by the pool”, at Disneyland etc etc., you get the drift!
90. Post pictures that show you at your very best having the maximum amount of fun, again it will make your friends so jealous!
91. If you make new friends on holidays don’t tell them your full name. You don’t want to be tagged in photos that have been uncensored by you and perhaps show you by the pool without makeup and frizzy hair. Not attractive and not for public viewing!
On Return Home
92. If you don’t have the all over bronze glow that you had hoped for, fake it!
93. Burn credit card statements when they arrive it’s too soon to be looking at them and they will ruin your holiday buzz.
94. Look back over all your lovely photos and see how happy you were.
95. Recall your experiences to friends and make them to listen to all your holiday stories.
96. Get depressed wondering when you are next going to have a vacation, its ages away!
97. If you enjoyed your vacation this year why not go back again next time. There is great comfort in the tried and tested places and you will know you will have a great time.
98. If you had a great time tell all your friends.
99. If you had a bad experience tell Trip Advisor.
100. Get online and make a booking for next year.
101. Start saving!